Yorkshire Grey, 2 London Road, St Leonards.
Blaster H. W. Burgess Coombs.
In the above photograph, the pub can be seen on the left hand side of the road just after the first junction with Market Street. The pub’s name “The Yorkshire Grey” can just be made out on the roof line of the building (double click the photo for a better view).
The pub was originally called the Saxon Shades until about 1884 when the pub became known as the Yorkshire Grey. It changed its name again in 1995 when it became the Admiral Benbow. The pub is now closed.
Since 2010, the building has been the home and studios of lighting designer Philip Oakley and his partner Olivia Yip, a Central St Martins fashion graduate, who have transformed the 180-year-old pub from a place where pool cues were thrown through windows to an address beloved of boutique owners and art collectors.