The Albion, 110 Church Road, Hove.
Blaster F. Wilson
There has been an Inn on the site of the manor of Hove Villa and Hove Ecclesia since 1638. The Inn was surrendered to Jacob Wood by Matthew Martin in September 1810 and later came into the possession of George Gallard, who sold the premises known as the Albion Tavern in May 1871 for £1,577 to Richard Carey Weekes, gent of Hurstpierpoint to pay debts owed to William John Williams of Brighton.
There used to be the hulk of a ship called the Albion beached at nearby Southwick that was a favourite venue for the sale of oysters in the 19th century. By 1841 Albion Street, Southwick had been named after the ship, and it is likely the tavern on the street was named after the ship too.