Watermill Inn Vat
1 Leylands Road, World’s End, Burgess Hill.
The Watermill Inn was built in the late 1850s next to Wivelsfield railway station at World’s End, Burgess Hill. The area around the Inn has been known as World’s End since the railway was built in 1841.
The Inn was named after the nearby Valebridge water mill that was a mile north of the Inn. The water mill has since been demolished after a fire destroyed the floor and roof timbers.
In 1895 a “World Fair” was held near to the Inn, where there were athletic sports, old-time cricket matches, donkey races, dances, swings and roundabouts. Held annually at World’s End Park (now Jane’s Lane recreation ground) the fair survived until about 1930 with a few breaks and revivals in between. The cricket matches were played with the participants wearing tall black hats, and umpires wearing gowns and white wigs.
The Watermill serves Harveys Best Bitter plus two to three other cask ales.
Quench Bar 2-4 Church Road Burgess Hill West Sussex RH15 9AE. Phone 01444 253332
The Quench Bar was adopted as a Vat in December 2014. A modern establishment dedicated to selling local Sussex Ales and a Good Beer Guide entrant in 2015. Future meetings will be held there following the refurbishment being carried out in January 2015
The Brewers Arms 91 High St, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1XN. Phone 01273 475524
The Brewers Arms was adopted as our first East Sussex Vat in December 2014. A very popular free house in Lewes with a wide ever changing selection of ales and a regular entrant in The Good Beer Guide.
Information courtesy of The Inns of Lewes Past and Present: “The churchwardes of St Michael’s used to hold their parish meetings at the BREWERS ARMS oppsoite their church. This house was re-built about the turn of the 20th century. For some obscure reason it had formerly been called the SHIP, a name belived to have a religious connection,symbolsing the ark as a place of shelter. ” Impressive Page and Overton Croydon Ales signs adorn the frontage either side of the door.
The Fiddlers Elbow, Boyce Street, Brighton, BN1 1 AN Phone 01273 325850
A recent addition but an original Vat-The Stafford. See our Historic Vats tab for more information. Adopted as our Brighton Vat in June 2015. Three changing ales usually from Sussex and selection of Guinness products plus Irish grub and other good pub food throughout the day. A popular music venue check their Facebook page for events.