Ship Hotel, 6 High Street, Newhaven.
Blaster B. Leeson.
Photograph made available by localdatasearch.com
Blower B. Leeson ran both the Ship Hotel and Newhaven Vats from The Ship Hotel in Newhaven. Vat meetings were probably held on different nights of the week.
The construction of piers at the eastern and western sides of Newhaven harbour started from 1630 onwards and this led to a shipbuilding industry being developed in the town. By the late 18th century there was a Ship Brewery established at 6 High Street.
The railway reached Newhaven in 1847. From 1851 onwards a ferry service was operating between Newhaven and Dieppe in France and this would have called for hotel accommodation to be built.
During the First World War, Newhaven was a principal port for the transportation of general supplies and munitions to France. Newhaven also played an important role during the Second World War when it was heavily bombed. Many renovation projects have been undertaken in the town over the last 70 years.
The Ship Hotel is now a pub and has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment. It has public and lounge bars with darts and football teams. Events include live music and quiz nights.