Marine Hotel, Worthing.
The Marine Vat and the Marine Hotel Vat were both at the Marine Hotel in Worthing, with meetings probably held on different nights of the week.
Built as the New Inn possibly in 1796, it was rebuilt as the Marine Hotel in 1826. From then on Worthing people grew up with the seafront Marine Hotel as their favourite “local”. It was probably the most used Regency landmark to be demolished by town planners in 1965 during the “swinging sixties”.
The hotel was rebuilt as the Marine, and it later became Steers Steak House, followed by The Sofa Bar, and then in 2011 Gi Gi’s. Since 2012 it has been known as the Spyglass Inn (double click on the photo for a better view) with a nautical theme that includes ship artefacts such as barrels, a ship’s wheel, and the front of a cannon. The Spyglass acts as a brewery tap for Anchor Springs, and often has guest ales from Cornish breweries.